The objective of this Learning Pathway (LP) is to give an overview on the main types of waterborne diseases, their causative agents, the chemical, physical and microbiological contamination of drinking water. Emphasis is given to the illnesses due to drinking and recreational waters, and the phenomenon of biocorrosion. Water sanitary risk analysis, assessment and management are discussed. The main characteristics of pure water and its qualitative indicators and standards for water disinfection are presented. Special attention is given on innovative concepts and methodologies for training engineers and technical staff working in the drinking water supply sector.
The learning goals are achieved through presentation of training material within the following Learning Outcomes:
- Water contamination risks;
- Quality standards for drinking water treatment plants;
- One countries’ relationship with water;
- Technology-enhanced learning & innovative education and training for drinking water treatment plants.
Learning Pathway structure
|Unit of LOs No 2||Credit Points (CP)|
|Unit of LOs No 5||CP|
The LP is designed for specialists working as VET Trainers in Mechanical engineering with the purpose to help their training, to upgrade their knowledge and to broaden their wider competence in the subject, thus facilitating their realization on the labour market.
- Main aspects of water contamination risks;
- Major categories of water contamination agents;
- Basic concepts in establishment and application of DWTP quality standards;
- Key characteristics of pure water;
- Fundamentals of water disinfection;
- Main standards and approaches for application of water disinfection;
- New approaches and methodologies in VET training for engineers and technical staff working in DWTP;
- EU VET principles for adoption and implementation of LO/Certification Units principles and ECVET assessment.
- Work in compliance with Environmental, Health & Safety principles;
- Maintain basic water supply and distribution systems;
- Perform technical control on DWTP operation;
- Execute technical testing on scale up, production and daily DWTP checks and monitoring;
- Maintain laboratory supplies and equipment;
- Prepare and maintain required records and logs;
- Use statistical techniques in the treatment of data, to interpret and apply findings;
- Apply EU VET principles (EQF/NQF) and training strategies;
- Prepare and describe LOs;
- Evaluate training effects through applying ECVET;
- Keep up-to-date technical and scientific knowledge.
- Expressing and interpreting concepts and ideas in both oral and written form;
- Developing and applying logical thinking in solving different problems in everyday practice;
- Using contemporary information and communication technologies;
- Contributing to social and working life in an effective and beneficial way;
- Applying creativity and innovation in planning and managing everyday work and in achieving objectives.