Electrical engineering technicians perform technical tasks to aid in electrical engineering research, and in the design, manufacture, assembly, construction, operation, maintenance and repair of electrical equipment, facilities and distribution systems.
- providing technical assistance in research on and development of electrical equipment and facilities, or testing prototypes;
- designing and preparing blueprints of electrical installations and circuitry according to the specifications given;
- preparing detailed estimates of quantities and costs of materials and labour required for manufacture and installation according to the specifications given;
- monitoring technical aspects of the manufacture, installation, utilization, maintenance and repair of electrical systems and equipment to ensure satisfactory performance and compliance with specifications and regulations;
- planning installation methods, checking completed installation for safety and controls or undertaking the initial running of the new electrical equipment or systems;
- assembling, installing, testing, calibrating, modifying and repairing electrical equipment and installations to conform with regulations and safety requirements.
Examples of the occupations classified here:
- Electrical engineering technician
- Electric power transmission engineering technician